|Winner: August Smart Lock
||Runner Up: Kwikset Kevo
|Pairs with Existing Deadbolt||Must Replace Existing Deadbolt|
|$123.97||Check on Amazon|
|Buy August Smart Lock on Amazon||Buy Kwikset Kevo on Amazon|
Remember when we had to use a physical key to both unlock our car door and start the engine? How inconvenient now that we can leave our keys in our pocket and just open to door and push to start the engine? Someone smarter than me figured out that we can use similar technology to sync our smartphones with smart locks to open and lock doors. The two best products on the market are the Kwikset Touch-to-Openâ¢ Kevo smart lock and August smart lock.
How Do Smart Locks Work?
Both Kwikset Kevo and August operate in a similar way — they pair with your smartphone to allow keyless access to your deadbolt locks without having to replace your current locks. The August smart lock works with your existing deadbolt lock, while the Kevo smart lock calls for you to replace your existing deadbolt with their smart version. With your smart phone paired to your smart locks, you simply touch the lock with your finger and the lock automatically opens. Be sure to check out our doorbell camera reviews, the perfect companion to your smart lock.
August Smart Lock vs Kwikset Kevo: Price Comparison
Very minimal difference in price between the Kwikset Kevo and August smart locks.
August Smart Lock Price
Kwikset Kevo Smart Lock Price
The Kwikset is a physical deadbolt that has the smart capabilities, whereas the August smart lock just has a device that connects to your existing hardware. Both the Kwikset Kevo vs August smart locks have virtual keys you can assign temporary access.
August Smart Lock
- Pairs with existing deadbolt
- Interior device is a bit bulky for some users tastes
Kwikset Kevo Smart Lock
- Replacement deadbolt for your existing locks
- Comes with two hard keys in case you donât have your smartphone on you
- Plastic components in the exterior lock which can fail over time
Features: Kwikset Kevo vs August Smart Lock
Aside from opening and locking your door with your smartphone, both Kwikset Kevo vs August have some unique features that stand apart and add value to your smarthome.
August Smart Lock Features
- Similar to the Kwikset Kevo, the August app allows you to give guest access and allows you to monitor who uses at all times
- Upgraded access allows voice control to your August smart lock
- Smart keypad can be paired with lock to allow hardkey access when you donât have a phone on you
- August connect allows you to lock and unlock remotely from anywhere in world
- The app will send you alert anytime your smart lock is used
Kwikset Kevo Smart Lock Features
- Pairs with your Amazon Echo and Apple Siri, as well as your Nest Learning Thermostat that will allow your Nest recognize who is coming in the door and adjust your homeâs climate control
- Extra fob can be purchases when no physical key or smart phone are present
- eKeys can be given out to guests free of charge, and you can assign temporary access directly to a friendâs phone
- A Kevo Plus feature can run on Wi-Fi and be accessed from anywhere in the world
- Information about the lockâs usage is logged and can be viewed by owner
- Phone is very sensitive to phoneâs location, and it doesnât work as smoothly as some users would like — some users have reported the door unlocks if you barely brush the lock when your phone is near
Kwikset Kevo vs August Smart Lock: Final Verdict
Despite itâs bulkier design, the August Smart Lock is far and away a better system than the Kwikset Kevo smart lock. The app is cleaner and the install is a breeze (without any professional installation needed). We love the voice control, and the fact that it only unlocks when you want it to is ultimately the most important thing (no accidental unlocks, please!). Both the Kwikset Kevo vs August smart locks are great products to add to your smart home, but the August is the product you need if you want to upgrade to the best smart lock system on the market.
Check out the August Smart Lock in action: